Royal LePage Shelter Foundation’s Sahara Desert Challenge…
I am honoured and extremely excited to be taking part in this epic journey to raise funds to support women and children by providing them with a safe place to sleep and support services.
In November 2019, I will be trekking 100 km across the Sahara Desert in support of the Royal LePage Shelter Foundation. For 5 straight days, my colleagues from Royal LePage offices across Canada and I will be hiking up to 7 hours a day across difficult terrain in this hot and dry desert climate, with temperatures dropping considerably at night. We will be sleeping in large group tents, using camping-style bathroom facilities, and going without electricity, cell service and the other comforts of home. To be eligible to participate, I must raise at least $5,000.
This journey will not be easy and it has already started for me. I will be preparing physically and mentally for months and will be covering my own travel costs. Each dollar we raise and every step we take will make it easier for women and children in our communities to walk safely away from violence.
This is a cause that I’m extremely passionate about. As a Realtor, my job is to help my clients find the perfect place to live and I can't imagine ‘home’ being a place of fear and danger. Sadly, on any given night in Canada close to 6,000 women and children stay in an emergency shelter because it’s not safe for them to be at home. At the same time, 300 are turned away each night because all the shelters are full. Even more tragically, on average, every 6 days in Canada a woman is killed by her current or former partner. In too many cases women go to their local shelter because they are literally running for their lives.
I want to help these women and children by ensuring a safe place and support services are available to them when they need it. They deserve our help and our encouragement that a brighter future is possible. I also recognize that educating our youth about building healthy relationships is the key to breaking the cycle of family violence in Canada.
Of the funds I raise 80% will support North Shore Crisis Services Society’s Sage Transition House right here in our own community and the remaining 20% will support domestic violence prevention programs across the country.
Will you join me in making a difference?
Click SPONSOR ME to help me reach my fundraising goal. Thank you for your support!
Note: The Royal LePage Shelter Foundation issues tax receipts in February for all donations ($20+) made in the previous calendar year.